In our last post, we shared some of the reasons why the trailer was becoming a bit cumbersome and why the move to a van was welcomed. Well, some of you already think we are crazy for going smaller but here are the reasons why (in no particular order):
- Better fuel economy
- Easier to drive, maneuver, and park
- More options to moochdock. Sometimes our tiny travel trailer was still too big to park in driveways or city streets while visiting friends and family
- More inconspicuous than a bright red travel trailer
- Stealthier for boondocking in urban places. We don’t do this often but we did boondocks in LA
- Better technology options (lithium ion batteries, under the hood “generator”, solar, etc.)
- Cassette toilet. Yup, that’s where the poo goes. There are some many more options to empty our “black tank” now
- We can fit in just about any normal parking spot and any camping spot. To save a few bucks, we get tent sites instead of RV spots at campgrounds. So easy to fit just about anywhere!
- 6 year transferable warranty
Ok, enough of the why we switched and now more of the here’s what we switched to. Everyone, meet Ellie!!! Ellie is a Hymer Aktiv 1.0 Class B RV (camper van) on a Dodge Promaster 2500 chassis. As you can imagine, she has all of the comforts of home and then some in a sweet small package.
For those folks that want all of the specs, here you go!
So, what do you think? Doesn’t she kind of look like a little ugly elephant. Get it…? Ellie…